How many things do you think one is able to get done in 0,02 seconds? None, you think? Then you are wrong. According to psychologists, 0,02 seconds is an average period of time for people to form their general opinion about your company or product, as well as about your website or mobile App. Would the first impression be good or bad? The answer to this question will have a direct influence on all your further relationships with your customers (and it may even determine whether people will ever become your customers or not). A positive first impression can become a strong foundation for the successful cooperation between the company and the client. Of course, an unfavorable impression may be wrong and it does not always indicate that the company is not good. Nevertheless, it is extremely difficult to change this impression in the future.
When we meet a new person, we immediately analyze his/her appearance, manners, gestures, words and even energy. All these things like pieces of a puzzle fit into one harmonious picture in our imagination. Every company with all its attributes (product, package, logo, website, App, company’s employees etc.) is similar to a living organism – we analyze it and form an image in our head. Some people evoke respect, appeal to us and seem trustworthy. Other people – do not. The same happens with every company. Your company, your product, your website can strike a chord and leave a mark in the memory or just become one among a million others. This process is much more complex than it may seem. Here we are talking about a visual perception and psychology of influence, and even philosophy.
So, a complex image of your company which makes it recognizable among others is called a brand. It is not easy to create a good successful brand in the current global market conditions. Creation of a whole set of memorizable visual characteristics, such as a company’s logo design, package design, website design, e-mails design etc., is a job for professional brand-designers. If they manage to create the right brand and image for the client, then the only possible destiny for this company is success.
Our [bvblogic] company worked on large amounts of design projects of different scale and complexity. On the basis of our observations and experience which we gained in the working process we have amassed an array of tips, ideas and solutions for how a successful brand and design should be created. So, here is a set of our approaches and work principles, which we have formulated for ourselves and would like to share with everyone who is interested in design.
- Meaningful design. The point is that creation of a ‘beautiful picture’ is not enough. Your design should be based on a thorough analysis of the company’s mission, goals, its product, activities, audience etc. Every company has some kind of its own philosophy. It is important to understand it and express it through design. A good website design can instantly tell us without any words what the company is doing, what values it has, and even can make us feel its spirit and become loyal to it.
- Integrated approach. From our experience we can assure you that an integrated approach is essential and usually speeds up the development process, makes it more efficient and helps to optimize costs. It is really great to work with a company that provides a full range of services – from the search for and formulation of a concept and creation of models and prototypes, to the implementation of all necessary things: logotype, package design, website design, mobile solution design and others (depending on the type of the client’s company). This approach makes it possible to implement a single harmonious concept in all elements related to the company. In case of the rebranding process, it should also include all the company’s attributes. One comprehensive image may be ruined, for example, when a mobile application design is quite different from the website design, and it is often the case when different companies work on these different tasks.
- Trust and good communication between the client and the development company. There are many different nuances in the design, which users normally do not pay special attention to: color, style, depth, contrast, forms, composition… there are a lot of them, they all are very important, and professional designers know many rules of their application based on observations of target groups of consumers, knowledge of psychology and many other things, but that is another conversation for some separate articles Simple as it may seem, the picture of a web page should be a result of thorough work of a designer, and should include specific meaning planned in advance. An experienced designer can accurately determine the best design solution option for each individual company, taking into account its type of activity and target audience. He/she can skillfully direct the user’s impressions, and can even predict the consumer’s response. The work of a designer is well thought-out and inventive. That is why customers should trust their design teams and rely on their knowledge and experience. This can be facilitated through close communication between the customer and the design team with regular discussions of project details. If the communication is good and trust has been established, only then can efficient work on an ideal image of a company be organized.
- Uniqueness and originality. The number of all websites in the world has already soared above the mark of one billion, but most of them are very similar and have nothing to surprise the user. How often does it happen that a particular site captures your attention and impresses you with its original design or special usability, or just some atmosphere and charm? Not so often, I guess. On the one hand, the important thing in design is to follow the trends. Some colors and styles are popular today, but tomorrow other trends will appear. Of course, designers are constantly monitoring all those tendencies and apply them in work. But today it is not enough to follow the trend anymore. A designer has to be an artist and a generator of new ideas. A company may spend a lot of money on SEO, advertising, various marketing tools. You can get customers to visit your site once, but it will not necessarily bring you customers’ loyalty, sales and profit. But what actions will provide you with you all these things then? The answer is: a non-standard approach and originality of thinking, sometimes working against modern trends or breaking the user’s expectations. Do not imitate, try to be different and original!
- Harmony of external image and inner content. If we create an attractive, clear and user-friendly design, which later will be filled with huge amounts of unreadable content, then, of course, half of the design effect will be lost. Our point is that design is very closely connected with the semantic component and this issue should be properly considered at the initial stage of development. Numerous links from one page to another, a complex structure of the website, large amounts of information and hardly understandable data – these things can become reasons why the user will abandon your website and never return again. At the early stage of the project development when the idea is just being formulated, we need to determine which informational messages are going to be important for the user, and in which form they should be ultimately included on client’s website. Our design team always work in close cooperation with marketing managers, IT consultants and content managers, and all together in the process of communication with the customer we think over not just design, but “design-according-to-content”. What do we want to say to the customer? How to present the information? How to combine parts of the content? Where and how to place the information for its convenient reading? Where and how to place CTAs to increase conversion? All of these questions and many others are successfully answered in the process of our common work.
- Simplicity and minimalism. Flat Design. Simplicity has got a new meaning in today’s fast busy life. No seconds of the user should be wasted while he attempts to understand or find something on your website. No difficulties! So, make it simple!
- Responsive design. Today it is not just important, but essential. Life is very dynamic, and having access to information from different devices has already become an ordinary thing for every active person. This access should be simple, fast and convenient, so creating a design we will definitely make it responsive. Now, any search engine system (e.g. Google) determines the extent to which your website looks user-friendly on mobile devices. If your website design is not responsive, then the search engine puts your webpage lower on the search results list and you are less likely to be found by potential customers.
- Experience. Each team accumulates experience during the years of work. We are always interested in the success of our partners and clients, we monitor how our solutions influence their life and efficiency. The analysis of our experience and the most successful examples of our work help us to make better decisions and work better in the future.
- And the last but not the least observation: if the design of your website is executed properly and efficiently, the cost of its development will return to you within only a few months!
So, do not be afraid of changes and experiments! Trust an experienced team that can help to rediscover your company’s image in the global Internet market.
Get your creative and brave design from [bvblogic] – surprise your customers with your memorable brand and conquer their loyalty!
All design projects from this article have been developed by our team. You can find more examples here.